ACEA: EU auto industry sets out pillars of work for new policy term
2019-2024 ACEA Manifesto puts forward the key pillars to foster collaboration with policy makers. It comes right at the start of a new political term in Brussels, with a newly-elected European Parliament in place and the next European Commission under construction. The four pillars are:
- Delivering clean and safe mobility, with the objective of enabling the transition to zero emissions and zero fatalities.
- Making road transport smart and convenient, with a view to establishing the EU as a world leader in consumer-focused, innovative mobility solutions.
- Ensuring affordable mobility and choice for all citizens, meeting the diverse needs of all Europeans, regardless of their financial means.
- Safeguarding a thriving and globally competitive industry, which can continue to contribute to employment and economic growth in the European Union.
ACEA President and Chairman of the Managing Board of PSA, Carlos Tavares: "Our manifesto reconfirms what we as an industry stand for, and what we need to achieve together with policy makers, in the interest of all European citizens."
"The aim is to shape the transformation of mobility – while at the same time ensuring that our sector maintains its global leadership and can continue to contribute to the EU economy,” Tavares said. “We need to take a 360 degrees approach."
To complement this, ACEA also launched a separate manifesto for the commercial vehicle industry, which highlights the importance of trucks, buses and vans, putting forward specific policy recommendations for this important segment of the industry.
Notes for editors
- ‘The future of the EU auto industry’ ACEA Manifesto is available for download here: https://www.acea.be/publications/article/the-future-of-the-eu-auto-industry-acea-manifesto-2019-2024
- ‘The commercial vehicle industry in Europe’ ACEA Commercial Vehicle Manifesto can be found here: https://www.acea.be/publications/article/the-commercial-vehicle-industry-in-europe-acea-commercial-vehicle-manifesto
- ACEA represents the 15 major Europe-based car, van, truck and bus manufacturers: BMW Group, CNH Industrial, DAF Trucks, Daimler, Fiat Chrysler Automobiles, Ford of Europe, Honda Motor Europe, Hyundai Motor Europe, Jaguar Land Rover, PSA Group, Renault Group, Toyota Motor Europe, Volkswagen Group, Volvo Cars, and Volvo Group.
- More information can be found on www.acea.be or www.twitter.com/ACEA_eu.
- Contact: Cara McLaughlin, Communications Director, firstname.lastname@example.org, +32 2 738 73 45 or +32 485 88 66 47.
About the EU automobile industry
- 13.8 million Europeans work in the auto industry (directly and indirectly), accounting for 6.1% of all EU jobs.
- 11.4% of EU manufacturing jobs – some 3.5 million – are in the automotive sector.
- Motor vehicles account for €428 billion in taxes in the EU15 countries alone.
- The automobile industry generates a trade surplus of €84.4 billion for the EU.
- The turnover generated by the auto industry represents over 7% of EU GDP.
- Investing €57.4 billion in R&D annually, the automotive sector is Europe's largest private contributor to innovation, accounting for 28% of total EU spending.